Who doesn’t love a delicious and warm cup of hot chocolate this time of year?! My little family and I live on the prairie in North Dakota and let me tell you, there are some frigid days ahead. However, my Nordic roots love the idea of lighting candles, putting on a cozy pair of socks, sitting by the fire, and drinking something warm. I think they call that Hygge 😉 To make things a little cozier, I decided to whip up a healthy hot chocolate!
Although a classic hot chocolate sure is delicious, I know I don’t feel great when I eat or drink too much sugar. Plus, it’s the holiday season and there are more treats already around. So instead of filling up with extra sugary beverages, I figured I’d create a healthy hot chocolate recipe that is delicious, contains extra protein to satisfy me (and you!), and has less sugar than your average hot chocolate. Delicious and nutritious? Well by golly, count me in!
If that sounds like something you’re looking for, you have to try my healthy hot chocolate recipe! It was also kiddo approved!
Protein Hot Chocolate + Peppermint Whipped Cream
- Peppermint Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp. peppermint extract (I used the Thrive brand)
- 1 Tbsp. Maple Syrup or 1Tbsp. confectioners Swerve
- Protein Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup milk of your choice
- ½ scoop of whey chocolate protein powder (about 12-15g of protein)*
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder*
- Pinch salt
- 1-2 tsp. of maple syrup or confectioners Swerve
- Make your peppermint whipped cream. Using a bowl and beaters or your stand mixer, add the cream, peppermint extract, and maple syrup (or Swerve). Mix until the consistency of whipped cream. Set aside.
- Make your hot chocolate. In a saucepan or an automatic frother, add your milk of choice, whey protein, cocoa powder, salt, and maple syrup(or Swerve). If using a saucepan, add all your ingredients and place the pan over low heat. Stir your mixture together and heat gradually – do not overheat as the whey protein will coagulate and create a clumpier texture. Whisk as the cocoa is warming.
- Once the cocoa is done, place in your favorite mug and top with a hearty dollop of whipped cream! Enjoy!
- The whipped cream will make multiple servings. Store in your refrigerator and use over 3-4 days.
- This is the chocolate whey protein we use and love in my home.
- For cocoa, the absolute best flavor is Vahlrona cocoa. Use whatever cocoa you have on hand, but for future reference, check out Vahlrona. It’s delicious and so chocolatey.
Warm, delicious, nutritious and hygge-inspired beverage coming your way!
If you make this recipe, share a photo and tag me! @katievigesaa.rd